REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN for ISEEN's 3rd Annual Summer Institute for Classroom Teachers!
- Cohort A: June 16-19, 2017- Science, Arts, & Math Discipline Groups
- Cohort B: June 20-23, 2017 - History, English, & Global Languages Discipline Groups
All participants will gain the following:
- An understanding of the theory and pedagogy of experiential education and how it relates to academic rigor, student engagement, and classroom enhancement.
- Three days spent in discipline-specific intensives, learning how to apply and integrate experiential education pedagogy into the classroom. Groups are facilitated by an expert teacher from each discipline (click here to review facilitator bios).
- Access to extensive resources relevant to their discipline.
- Time to develop and receive feedback on curriculum and assessments that can be put to immediate use in their classrooms.
- The opportunity to live and learn through EE lessons in practice, taking advantage of the incredible resources in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- A network of colleagues to connect with throughout the year and share ideas for curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- A better understanding of the more integrated role experiential education can play in their classrooms and school culture.
- The Institute is designed for middle and upper school teachers. Lower school teachers are welcome to attend, but should be aware of this focus.
- The History discipline group may also appeal to art history, geography and other social studies teachers.
- Each discipline group will be capped at 16 attendees.
- Schools will be permitted to register a total of ONE faculty member per academic discipline until the conclusion of the early bird registration rate (Feb 15th), at which point they will have the option of adding additional attendees should spots still be available.
- To learn more about becoming a member of ISEEN and the powerful year-round benefits membership provides (including a $100.00 registration discount per attendee at all institutes) please click here.
Itinerary & Travel Logistics:
- Science/Arts/Math Cohort: Please ensure your travel plans allow you to be at the IHM Retreat Center by 4:00pm on 6/16 so you can pick up your name tag and settle in before we commence the Institute at 4:45pm. Your return plans should be made for 6/20 as our closing dinner will not end until around 9:00pm. Your lodging will be booked for 6/16-6/20.
- History/English/Languages Cohort: Please ensure your travel plans allow you to be at the IHM Retreat Center by 4:00pm on 6/20 so you can pick up your name tag and settle in before we commence the Institute at 4:45pm. Your return plans should be made for 6/24 as our closing dinner will not end until around 9:00pm. Your lodging will be booked for 6/20-6/24.
Please know that we value your participation at the ISEEN Institute, but it is critical for you to arrive on time and leave on time. Arriving late or leaving early not only diminishes the quality of your experience, but also the shared experience of your peers. If you know that you cannot manage the full schedule, please consider joining us at a future institute.
Getting to Santa Fe:
Planes: Santa Fe can be reached by two airports:
- Santa Fe Municipal Airport (Airport Code: SAF). This is a small airport that is only serviced by American Eagle Airlines. Flights may be more expensive into SAF but also save you the shuttle/drive time from Albuquerque.
- Albuquerque Sunport Airport (Airport Code: Albuquerque ). Albuquerque is serviced by a broad selection of airlines and will likely have more competitive rates. It is a one hour drive from the Albuquerque Airport to Santa Fe. There are two shuttle companies that travel between Albuquerque and Santa Fe: Sandia Shuttle Express (Roundtrip shuttle rates approx. $48 per/person) and RoadRunner Shuttle & Charter(Roundtrip rates aprox. $55 per/person). Albuquerque Airport also has all of the major rental car companies and rates tend to be very competitive in New Mexico (and may be comparable to shuttle rates).
Automobiles: If you will be driving, directions to the IMH Reteat Center can be found here
Lodging Options: There are a number of different lodging options at the Immaculate Heart Retreat Center that are summarized below. There is limited availability for each option and these will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. Please pay close attention to the various details and options for each lodging choice below and select your desired choice.
- Queen Bed & Private Bath (1 person/room) 6 Rooms Available: $80.00 per night x 4 nights = $320.00 total.
- Twin Beds & Private Bath (2 people/room) 9 Rooms Available: $50.00 per night (based on double occupancy) x 4 nights =$200.00 total (per person). Note: if we are unable to assign you a suitable roommate, the price will increase to $70.00 per night, or $280.00 total.
- One Twin & Private Bath (1 person/room) 2 rooms available: $70.00 per night x 4 nights = $280 total
- Single DORM: One Twin Bed & SHARED Bath (dormitory style building-1 person/room) 4 Rooms Available: $55.00 per night x 4 nights = $220.00 total.
- SHARED DORM: Two Twin Beds & SHARED Bath (dormitory style building- 2 people/room) 11 Rooms Available: $42.00 per night x 4 nights = $168.00 total. Note: if we are unable to assign you a suitable roommate, the price will increase to $55.00 per night or $220.00 total.
As Santa Fe is such an appealing destination, we are often asked by potential attendees if their partner, or family can join them. We understand this desire and encourage attendees to spend some extra time in Santa Fe to truly experience the wonder of this amazing city/area. That said, much of what makes the ISEEN Institute so powerful is the community that we build through meals and social/down time and, unlike most conferences, this truly is an immersion experience. Attendees are deeply engaged from sun up to sun down with each other and the program. Partners are invited to join the group for the delicious evening BBQ dinner (additional cost) and the optional sunrise hike, but all other meals and activities are reserved solely for Institute attendees to help build and maintain that core community (and we assume and request attendees will fully participate with the program). IHM is a former monastery that has been turned into a very peaceful and zen like retreat center. The space feels more communal than a traditional hotel so it is not especially suited to young children. Partners/families should be prepared to be very independent throughout the duration of the Institute and can drive/walk/take the bus into downtown Santa Fe (5 min drive) for meals and sightseeing and focus any family time/activities before or after the Institute dates. If you are planning to bring a partner/family please indicate this below and select the options they would like to participate in. Please also ensure you have booked either a private room or understand you will be charged a single occupancy rate to book out a shared room. Please email email@example.com with any questions.