Definition of Experiential Education:
Experiential education is a pedagogical process by which educators engage students through a cycle of direct experience, reflection, analysis and experimentation. Experiential education values personal connection to deep and applied learning and inspires growth in both the student and teacher.
Our Vision for Experiential Education:
Transformative teaching and learning in an interconnected world
Mission: Why ISEEN exists
ISEEN seeks to lead, inform, connect, expand, and steward transformational experiential teaching and learning throughout an interconnected world.
IV. Values: What we believe in
Experience: Learning by doing, with reflection and transference.
Inclusivity: Creating an ethos in which everyone is respected as both a life-long learner and contributor.
Passion: Challenging the status quo and taking the initiative to pursue bold ideas.
Community: Cultivating authentic and supportive relationships.
Collaboration: Engaging in the dynamic exchange of diverse ideas and practices.
Adaptability: Responding to the evolving needs of educators and learning communities.
V. Vision for ISEEN: What the ideal world of ISEEN will look like
- ISEEN supports and informs a vibrant, engaged worldwide network of educators, schools, NGOs and service providers committed to EE.
- School leaders across ISEEN understand, embrace and champion the role of EE in developing 21st century skills in their schools and communities.
- Schools of education and credentialing agencies (e.g., The College Board, International Baccalaureate Organization, etc.) recognize the value of EE, integrate it into their curricula, trainings and materials, and collaborate with ISEEN in its promotion.
- Expansion and diversification of program-related offerings address the needs of and inspire ISEEN membership and its expanded global network, fulfilling our mission.
- Partnerships with local, national, and international philanthropic organizations ensure funding that increases access to and improves the quality of ISEEN resources, programs and trainings.
- Strategic partnerships with diverse organizations and institutions (e.g., AEE, Round Square, GEBG, Lerner School of Medicine, etc.) achieve synergies and innovations thereby expanding our reach and further promoting EE.
- Innovative assessments developed by member schools, organizations and like-minded institutions that reinforce deep learning, stimulate reflection, and demonstrate the inherent value of EE are accessed by a broad international audience.
- Focus on experiential learning in the classroom, including development of teacher resources, informs and promotes integration of EE in schools.
- ISEEN’s commitment to global and local diversity and intercultural intelligences is clearly reflected through our membership and participants, governance and policies, and programs, approaches, and resources.
VI. Goals: What we must achieve to realize our Vision
- Create a strong worldwide network of educators and organizations informed and supported by ISEEN.
- Promote awareness and understanding, and encourage school and education leaders to embrace the role of EE in developing 21st century skills.
- Forge alliances with schools of education and other credentialing agencies (College Board, IBO, etc.) that recognize the value of and help promote EE.
- Create a long-term sustainable financial model that assures ISEEN’s ability to actualize its mission.
- Form strategic partnerships with organizations and institutions (e.g. CityTerm, AEE, Round Square, GEBG, Private Schools w/ a Public Purpose, Lerner College of Medicine, Colorado College, etc.) in order to achieve synergies and greater reach.
- Focus on, encourage, and reinforce EE in the classroom and provide and/or facilitate access to resources to help a broader range of educators.
- Expand ISEEN offerings to meet the needs of a more diverse membership and audience.
- Through strategic partnerships, develop new and identify existing effective, innovative assessments that demonstrate the value and impact of EE.
- Strengthen, diversify and professionalize the Board as paid staffing expands.
- Develop and execute a coordinated communications and marketing plan for EE and ISEEN.