“Summer Teacher Institute: Experiential Education Pedagogy and Practice.”
The Summer Institute is designed for classroom teachers, providing them an understanding of how experiential education pedagogy and practice can help enhance their academic curricula and classroom practice. To provide focus to the discussions and stronger opportunities to develop community, the Institute will group three discipline cohorts together at a time (past groupings have included English, Humanities/Social Studies, and World Languages as one cohort and Sciences, Math, and Performing/Visual Arts as another cohort). Note: teachers of literature-based courses (philosophy, religion, etc.) may find the English cohort relevant to join. Educational administrators are welcome to join us at any time, but will need to choose one academic discipline to focus their time and learning with.
All participants will gain the following:
- An understanding of the theory and pedagogy of experiential education and how it relates to academic rigor, student engagement, and classroom enhancement.
- Three days spent in discipline-specific intensives, learning how to apply and integrate experiential education pedagogy into the classroom led/facilitated by an expert teacher in the discipline area. Attendees have access to extensive resources relevant to their discipline, the opportunity to live and learn through an EE lesson in practice, taking advantage of the resources available in Santa Fe, along with time to work individually and collaboratively with like minded peers to design/develop curricula and assessments that can be put to immediate use in their classroom.
- A network of colleagues with whom they can connect throughout the year, share ideas for curriculum, instruction and assessment.
- Time to develop and receive feedback on curriculum that can be implemented in their classrooms.
- A better understanding of the more integrated role experiential education can play in their classrooms and school culture.
- The Institute’s targeted population will be middle and upper school teachers (lower school teachers are welcome to attend, but should be aware of this focus)
- Each discipline group will be capped at 16 attendees to help foster strong discussion, collaboration opportunities, and connections
- Schools will be permitted to register a total of ONE faculty member per academic discipline until the conclusion of the early bird registration rate, at which point they have the option of adding additional attendees should spots still be available.
- To learn more about becoming a member of ISEEN and the powerful year-round benefits membership provides (including a $100.00 registration discount per attendee at all institutes) please click on the membership tab along the top of the website.
- The Institute will formally commence at 4:30pm on your cohort's first day and conclude after dinner on the last day (9:00pm). Please know that we value your participation at the ISEEN Institute, and we feel it is critical for participants to arrive on time and leave on time. Arriving late or leaving early not only diminishes the quality of your experience, but also the shared experience of your peers. If you know that you cannot manage the full schedule, please consider joining us at a future institute.
- Early Bird Registration (through February 15th): $1450.00
- Regular Registration (after February 16th): $1550
- Note: ISEEN Member schools will receive a $100 discount off each registration
- Registration fees include all workshops, materials, snacks, attractions, and meals.
- Additional costs include transfers to/from Santa Fe (from either the Santa Fe, or Albuquerque airport, depending on your flight selections), and accommodation at the Immaculate Heart Monastery (range of room prices from $40.00-$70.00 per night based on room selection/sharing options).
We are thrilled to have our summer institute hosted by Santa Fe Preparatory School, located in one of North America’s most charming, unique, and hip small cities. Santa Fe, New Mexico is not only physically beautiful, but also incredibly fascinating from a cultural perspective with a thriving art market, plentiful museums, and cultural attractions. Accommodations will be provided at the beautiful Immaculate Heart Monastery Retreat Center, located directly across the street from the Santa Fe Prep campus, surrounded by hiking trails, and steps from famous “Museum Hill”. All attendees stay at IHM as building community through meals and downtime is a key element of the Institute. The Institute will provide opportunities for attendees to experience a trolley tour of the city, along with two dinners on the town with fellow attendees. We also encourage attendees to consider staying on through the weekend to explore this wonderful city!
As Santa Fe is such an appealing destination, we are often asked by potential attendees if their partner, or family can join them. We understand this desire and encourage attendees to spend some extra time in Santa Fe to truly experience the wonder of this amazing city/area. That said, much of what makes the ISEEN Institute so powerful is the community that we build through meals and social/down time and, unlike most conferences, this truly is an immersion experience. Attendees are deeply engaged from sun up to sun down with each other and the program. Partners are invited to join the group for the delicious evening BBQ dinner (additional cost) and the optional sunrise hike, but all other meals and activities are reserved solely for Institute attendees to help build and maintain that core community (and we assume and request attendees will fully participate with the program). IHM is a former monastery that has been turned into a very peaceful and zen like retreat center. The space feels more communal than a traditional hotel so it is not especially suited to young children. Partners/families should be prepared to be very independent throughout the duration of the Institute and can drive/walk/take the bus into downtown Santa Fe (5 min drive) for meals and sightseeing and focus any family time/activities before or after the Institute dates. If you are planning to bring a partner/family please indicate this below and select the options they would like to participate in. Please also ensure you have booked either a private room or understand you will be charged a single occupancy rate to book out a shared room. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Please contact us with any questions regarding the Institute.